Dear Readers, Please check out our new Opinion Poll on whether school libraries are losing their relevance, and cast your vote by the end of December 2014. As you know …
your opinion counts
Our November 2014 poll was about whether singing the national anthem is a necessary school ritual:
Singing the national anthem has been a longstanding tradition at many educational institutions and is an important part of promoting patriotism.
• I agree. Singing the national anthem is a necessary school ritual as it instills a sense of unity in a diverse society frequently at odds with itself. (61%, 49 Votes)
• I disagree. Singing the national anthem, which very few people understand, promotes unthinking loyalty. Teaching history and marking Independence Day with meaningful activities is of more consequence. (39%, 31 Votes)
Total Voters: 80
The majority of those who responded to this poll (61%) felt that the national anthem should be sung regularly in schools as it promotes patriotism. These respondents believe that singing the national anthem also promotes a sense of unity amongst students. On the other hand, a sizeable minority (39%) felt that teaching history and marking Independence Day with meaningful activities is more effective when it comes to inculcating patriotism.